Welcome to Finance and Fury
Today we are going to talk about relationships and money, and some strategies to start working as a financial powerhouse couple
We all spend money and we all have relationships
- Doesn’t mean romantic relationships
- How has your relationship with money been developed?
- Did your parents talk about money around you?
- A lot of your foundations are through things you picked up as a kid
- Did you notice your parents ever fight about money?
- Based on what you observed you might try and avoid conflict about money
- What I was exposed to made a huge difference in my development
- It initially was uncomfortable talking to others about money, but with time you get used to it
Relationships & Money 101
- Compatibility helps a lot. Some similar goals and visions.
- As a couple, you are meant to be greater than the sum of its parts
- That means something bigger/better than you would expect from the individual parts
- Think about a relationship in terms of an equation 1 + 1 = 3
- If you have 2 people leading towards the same goals, you get a much better return.
- Your finances allow you to live a certain lifestyle
- What happens if you have differing values?
- Work out your own personal inventory and your values
- Get to know yourself a little better and use one of our workbooks
- Look at your financial habits and how they are impacted in a relationship
- Is there anything influencing your behaviour?
- What is my personal experience?
Getting on the same page – What you can do?
- Have you had a meaningful chat with your partner about money?
- Talked about spending habits, savings habits and shared goals?
- It needs to be a pretty focused chat around your goals
- What gets in the way?
- If uncomfortable, you might find it’s not as bad as you thought
- Important to get all the baggage out of the way at the start
- Create a list of shared financial goals
- Accountability buddy – Helping each other keep on track of these goals
The most important part:
- Talking about money with your partner
- Delaying this will do you no favours
- Relationships alone are a significant investment
- The more you invest, the better the relationship gets
- Are you both working towards your end financial goals?
Thanks for listening. If you liked it let us know with a rating or tell us over on the contact page.